SQL 2008 Cluster w/SP1 Slipstream

We recently deployed a new iSCSI SAN solution by Dell/EqualLogic, which has gone very well.  Earlier this week, we began a new SQL 2008 Cluster, utilizing new brand new Dell R610s – which we’re also pretty excited about.  We opted to keep the OS on local 15K SAS drives, while dropping the data/logs/indexes, etc. on the iSCSI backend.  While we did discuss a boot from SAN option, which would come in handy with geographically dispersed datacenter and DR failovers, that’s slightly out of scope, for this project.

Since we’ve got all this shinny new hardware, we figured we should go ahead and deploy the latest software as well – opting to go straight to Windows 2008 R2!  I must admit, the combination of our new hardware, and windows 2008 R2, is SUPER fast.  A complete OS load, from bare-bone equipment can be completed in well under an hour, which for us was a huge improvement over W2K3.

So we were speeding along, OS was built, all patches, drivers, iSCSI initiated and cluster prereq’s met – even building the windows cluster was a breeze – then came SQL 2008, which turned out to be a nightmare!  Install wizard was very straight-forward, until we got the “SQL Error Log is being generated” message, below:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Setup
——————————

The following error has occurred: There was an error setting private property ‘RequireKerberos’ to value ‘1’ for resource ‘SQL Network Name (33SQLCluster)’. Error: Value does not fall within the expected range.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22&EvtType=0xDCFFB30D%25400X1251FB33

——————————-

Initially, we thought it was related to us trying to reuse a existing [virtual] cluster name, which was already an active directory object (even though we couldn’t find it.)  The install was fail, partially and you could not re-install nor uninstall – nice..  It seems the virtual server name didnt create an entry in the registry, therefore uninstall would say “server name ” could not be found” and re-install would state ‘default instance already in use’ – so we had not choice but to flat-line the machine, and try, try, try again.  Five rebuilds later, we finally uncovered an option to slipstream SP1 into the install, which helped us to finally solve our issue.    Briefly, those steps are:

  1. Install the required pre-requirements for SQL Server 2008.
    • .NET Frameworks from here
    • MSI 4.5 from here
  2. Download the Service Pack package that matches you system architecture. For these steps you only need to download the one package that matches your system architecture. You can download from here. For example download the x64 package if your system is an x64 system.
  3. Extract the Service Pack that you downloaded as follows:
    • SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe /x:C:\SP1
  4. Run the Service Pack to install Setup files onto the machine. You will see the following dialogs if the Setup files have not been installed yet.
  5. Run Setup.exe from the SQL Server 2008 source media, but specify the /PCUSource parameter (i.e. Setup.exe /PCUSource=C:\SP1)

If you experience the same issue, you might find these links helpful:

Hopeful, that will be the last of the SQL issues we’ll have to face and we can get back to business.  Hope this helps you save some time!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s