We publicly assert that all users of the social web are entitled to certain fundamental rights, specifically:
– Ownership of their own personal information, including:
- their own profile data
- the list of people they are connected to
- the activity stream of content they create;
– Control of whether and how such personal information is shared with others; and ·
– Freedom to grant persistent access to their personal information to trusted external sites.
Sites supporting these rights shall:
- Allow their users to syndicate their own profile data, their friends list, and the data that’s shared with them via the service, using a persistent URL or API token and open data formats;
- Allow their users to syndicate their own stream of activity outside the site;
- Allow their users to link from their profile pages to external identifiers in a public way; and
- Allow their users to discover who else they know is also on their site, using the same external identifiers made available for lookup within the service.